Monday 21 October 2013

Cullen Skink


I wasn't a big fan of fish soup and feel a bit skeptical making this .. Cullen Skink.. A very lovely and funny friend who was visiting me from overseas sent me a cook book of his cultural cuisines.. so I give it a go!.. Couldn't find smoked haddock anywhere here, I used smoked cod. Half way through the cooking, I felt like..hmmm should I order a pizza!?  But when it's done.. It tasted surprisingly very yummy.. Never judge the food by its looks!.. Thanks to Dr. Mervyn :) 

Ingredients 

900 g of smoked cod ( I can't find haddock here)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
900ml of full cream milk
250g cooked potatoes, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt & Pepper to taste 
3 tbs butter

Methods

Place the fish in shallow pan cover with water, skin side down, bring to boil, simmer for 5 mins.

Take the fish out, remove skin & bones.

Flake the fish and return to pan. 

Add onion, bay leaf, salt & pepper, simmer for another 10 mins.

Strain off the stock, remove the leaf, and place the fish aside.

Return the strained stock to the pan, add milk, bring to boil.

Add potatoes and the fish, check on the taste, add more salt & pepper if needed.

Serve hot in a bowl with dots of butter which will melt into the soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment